Granite composite sinks are mainly composed of granite dust particulates (80%) and acrylic resin bonding agent, which gives the sink that sturdy smooth finish. The composite granite sink is engineered to provide you with a well designed, durable product and one that comes with a silky sheen to the same. It is primarily manufactured by mixing granite particles along with acrylic resin before it gets transformed into the sink that you are familiar with. But you may also come across ‘composite stone’ sinks which are essentially granite composite sinks, constructed from a mix of quartz stone particles with acrylic resin.
The fact is that granite composite sinks have come into their own; they provide your kitchens and homes with a touch of elegance and class and certainly do stand out for the right reasons. The best part about using composite granite is that it comes in various shapes, sizes and hues and you can choose one as per your preference. But before you go shopping for that granite sink, you may want to review the rest of the buyer’s guide so that you can make an informed decision.
When it comes to granite composite sinks, you may notice that no two granite composite sinks look like each other. What’s more, they seem to have acquired their own distinct colouration and shape and that’s mainly due to the process the manufacturer utilizes in creating the sink in the first place. It is then processed and transformed into a composite and moulded into the shape of a sink. The end result is a highly durable and strong product, which comes with a silky sheen to the same that makes it quite attractive.
And manufacturers have better control over the granite composite as they transform it into sinks. Naturally, as a result, you have granite composite sinks that can vary from one another, not just in colour but in texture as well.
Best Granite Composite Sink 2019
When it comes to granite composite sinks, there are more than a few products that you may want to take a look at. Here are some of the top ranked composite granite sinks, with their own pros and cons.
This sink certainly stands out for all the right reasons;’ it comes with nearly every positive attribute that a granite composite sink brings to the table. It comes with an elegant design, check out the various pros and cons,
- This top mount sink is easy to install
- It is durable and of high quality
- Comes with high resistance to scratches, cracks, and heat
- The size is perfect
- It fits in naturally with the rest of your kitchen’s décor
- It requires a professional to undertake the installation.
What makes this sink stand out is that it comes with high quality drainage, one that should remove any water stagnating in the sink. Overall, it comes with a great design, that’s elegant and comes into its own. Check out some of the pros and cons,
- These granite sinks tend to be quite large, and spacious enough, so you should be able to handle all your washing with ease
- The sink is remarkably easy to clean
- These sinks do not get stains which makes them stand out for the right reasons
- Comes with all the functionality that you need and more
- It is elegant to the boot.
- If you are a tall person then chances are that you may find this sink a little cumbersome
- You will need a professional to get the sink installed correctly
Now, this is a sink that can give minimalism a whole new meaning; it certainly looks as elegant as ever and comes with all the trappings of a modern sink and more. What makes this sink stand out is that apart from being easy to clean it also comes with anti-bacterial protection as well. Check out some of the pros and cons of this sink,
- It comes with a classic design in black and certainly looks elegant and smart
- It does not leave any water spots, which is a plus point
- It is reasonably priced and is of quite good quality
- It comes with sound proofing
- What makes this sink stand out is that it allows for both types of installation – both top mount and under mount
- It comes with anti bacterial protection which should prevent any stains from forming on its surface
- It is durable and resilient
- You will need a professional to install it correctly.
The sink really stands out; it comes with an elegant design and in metallic grey. It is certainly just the sort of sink to add a bit of class to your kitchen and should make it come alive. Just check out some of the pros and cons of this kitchen sink
- It does not show any water spots which is a plus
- It is remarkably easy to clean, more so than so many other sinks
- It is scratch proof and you need not be worried about any discolorations either
- It is thick and should not crack or chip easily
- It comes with a large bowl shape
- It is durable and the divider should make it quite convenient to keep apart those vessels that you have washed from those you haven’t yet cleaned up.
- It may not be possible to install it as a top mount installation and you would have to go for an undermount
Reasons as to why you should go in for a granite composite sink
- Durability: Yes, granite sinks are indeed quite durable, and in fact, all granite composite sinks are created under extreme pressure, which results in them becoming resistant to heat, cracks and breakages – incidentally the sink is also, non-porous. These sinks should last you for a long while and furthermore, they are naturally resistant to any scuffles, any dents and should remain functional for a long while.
- Variety: Granite composite sinks come in various hues and shades; whereas, with most other materials, the most that you can look forward to are single colour tones. Manufacturers add colour to the acrylic resin and thanks to the same; they are able to develop their composite granite sinks in various hues and tones. In fact, a granite composite sink should make your kitchen stand out.
- Value: composite granite sinks are more resistant to all the wear and tear and happen to be durable and sturdy as well. And then there’s the aesthetics part of it, the sink certainly would add a touch of class to the kitchen. In short, with a composite granite sink, you would definitely get your money’s worth.
- Sound absorbing: The one important reason that you may want to go for a composite granite sink is that they are thick and that they absorb most sounds. Imagine being woken up by someone turning on the faucet in your stainless steel sink at full flow. Well, with a composite granite sink, you would never have to face this issue.
Restoring your granite composite sink
If you have been using your composite granite sink for a while, then you may have seen that it is starting to lose its sheen. The sheen was on account of the protective layer you had applied to the sink with the sealant. But after a while, the sealant would go awol and that’s an indication that you need to restore your composite sink right away. You need to apply the fresh protective coating and you can do this with the help of a soft cloth. The first thing that you need to do is to clean your sink thoroughly and wipe it dry. Once you have done so, you can now apply the sealant and restore the protective coating. Once that is complete, you can then apply a polisher and your granite composite sink should look as good as new.
Cleaning and removing stains
It goes without saying that you need to take care when using your granite composite sink. It is hard to remove stains from granite composite sinks and of course, the best option would be to prevent any stains altogether. Usually, the manufacturer would provide you with a detailed guidebook on how to best clean your composite granite sink. But here are a few tips.
- Sealing: One of the effective methods for preventing your composite granite sink from getting stained is to seal it effectively with a compatible sealant. By sealing your granite sink, you can prevent the stain, clean your sink so that it stands out, stain free. It should be pointed out that sealers do not necessarily make your stone stain proof but they can make it a lot harder for the stain to stick on, which is why it makes sense to use a sealant.
- Use commercially available cleaners: You can check at the local shop and chances are that they would have granite countertop cleaners. Those are the ones you need to use for your granite composite sink. When using commercial cleaners on your sink, you need to know that granites can be somewhat sensitive to lemon and some of the other citrus fruits.
- Do not store oil based products in and around the sink: Granite composite sinks have a tendency to pick up stains easily which is why it is necessary to use a sealant. Similarly, you may want to avoid storing oil or oil-based products so as to avoid any spillage on the countertop as well as in the sink. You may also want to check in with your manufacturer for more information on how to remove organic stains from your granite composite sink
Advantages of granite composite sinks
- Heat resistant: Composite granite sinks are quite resistant to heat and these sinks are formed under extreme pressure. As a result, they can easily withstand temperatures up to 536 F
- Durability: It is quite durable, and should last for a long while
- Pick the preferred shade: Unlike other materials, you can pick out your preferred shade from the various sinks that are available. Granite sinks, as mentioned earlier, come in various hues and tones –from light grey to dark. You can check out some of the locally available composite granite sinks and choose the one you prefer.
- Lightweight: compared to other materials like cast iron, composite granite sinks are quite lightweight.
Disadvantages of composite granite sinks:
- It can be easily affected by harsh chemicals: The sink can be easily affected by harsh chemicals. That is why it is important for you to review the manufacturer’s manual on how to take care of your granite sink. It is essential that you do not use harsh chemicals to scour the sink as it can affect our sink and mar its appearance as well.
- It can chip: One of the downsides to composite granite sinks is that they can chip. Yes, the sinks are durable enough but if you were to drop something heavy into the sink, then it can cause it to chip. But chips are easily repaired, so it really should matter much.
- Finish: The finish on a composite granite sink can only last for a while. And once the protective layer is gone you would have to redo it all over again. In a single word, composite granite sinks tend to be high maintenance.
- Price: When it comes to the price tag, you will find that granite sinks tend to be more expensive than most of the other type of sinks out there.
Maintenance tips for a composite granite sink:
Unlike regular granite, the composite granite sink is nonporous, meaning that it can be cleaned easily. But even then, there are a few things that you must and must not do, in order to take better care of your sink. So, do check them out
- Clean regularly: Try to clean as regularly as you can; see if you can clean at the end of dinner. Try washing your sink with some warm water, and gently scrub the deep dirt out so that your sink starts to shine again. Do not use boiling water, hot water should suffice
- Do the research: Most manufacturers have their own unique process for developing the composite granite sink. As a result, the sinks would vary in shape, tone and in a few cases, some properties as well, so make a point to find out more from your manufacturer.
- Rinse and dry: You need to wash and dry your sink at the end of the day. This can help your sink retain its “fresh look” for a little while longer.
What not to do:
- Do not use harsh chemicals: Granites contain substances that are sensitive to harsh chemicals. So it goes without saying that you need to avoid the same when it comes to cleaning your sink
- Do not use abrasive materials: Granted that spotting the stain on the corner of your skink is irksome but that does not mean that you immediately bring out industrial scrubbers to remove the stain. In the process, you end up removing your sinks protective coating.
- Do not leave your wet sponges in your sink: This is something that you may already have done – it is not a good idea to forget the fact that you had left a wet sponge inside the sink. This can cause your sink to react to the same and even cause a limescale deposit on the surface of your skin.
There’s no reason to panic if you spot limescale deposits on your composite granite sink. It can be cleaned up easily and all that is required is some serious scrubbing work on your part along with the required water. You can also use a combination of water and vinegar to clean up your sink. You can also use locally available cleaners, specifically for the purpose of removing any limescale deposits, located in your sink.
These are the various things that you would need to review before you opt to purchase the first composite granite sink that you come across. The first thing naturally would be to determine the pricing for a decently sized granite composite sink. Check out the various sinks online, see if they meet your current requirements, and then you can go ahead with the purchase. You may also want to make sure that any product you choose to purchase comes with the required warranty. With the tips posted above, you should be able to choose the sink that you need and even customize it.