If you are planning to give your kitchen a makeover, then, in all probability, the first place that you need to start with would be the sink, for the simple reason that the right sink can make your kitchen stand out for the right reasons. But when it comes to choosing the right sink to go with your newly re-designed kitchen, that’s easier said than done for the simple reason that there are way too many choices to select and sort.
Apart from the design, you also need to pick out the type of sink that you want – from composite granite sinks to cast iron sinks, stainless steel sinks and even ceramic sinks. Cast iron sinks are the popular choice for most homeowners for the simple reason that they are extremely durable and sturdy, and you would definitely not have to worry about chipping the same. But what makes the cast iron popular is the fact that they come coated with enamel which makes it possible for you to get one in your preferred shade, colour and tone. But before you rush out to purchase your first cast iron sink, there are a few things that you may have to keep in mind, when doing so.
Top cast iron sinks
Check out some of the top cast iron sinks; the reviews for each are posted below,
When it comes to cast iron sinks, the installation of the same takes priority, along with the design and functionality. As far as this sink is concerned, it is a perfect match to what’s normally the industry standard – a 36-inch sink and comes with the following dimensions, 35-11/16 inches by 21-9/16 inches. The sink itself is a streamlined and apron sink and should be a great fit for kitchens in any style. It should certainly make your kitchen stand out and as it comes with the required enamel coating, you can select your own colour and tones for the sink but usually, most homeowners prefer white. It is durable, and resistant to stain, which is a big plus. Check out some of the pros and cons of this self-trimming sink,
- It is durable and stain resistant
- It is easy to maintain
- It is wide and spacious enough
- And it does not allow for any permanent stains and nor does it’s colour fade over time, which is a big plus
- It can get easily scratched, which is why you need to take care when using the sink
- It can feature a few scuff marks but that depends more on your usage than anything else.
Overall, this apron style sink is as good as it gets and it comes with a top mount installation along with a self-trimming edge. It is a good model and a worthwhile purchase.
If you are in the market for a sink that comes with great functionality and yet stands out on account of its stark elegance then this is the sink that you may want to take a closer look at. It certainly comes with a great finish and a glossy look which should help complement any décor. It comes with top installation and requires at least 33-inch cabinet space and comes with the following dimensions – length of approximately 32″, a width of approximately 22″ and a depth of 9″. This self-trimming single bowl kitchen is certainly spacious enough and should more than hold all your big vessels. You can even fit in a separator at the bottom which should make it easy for you to separate the clean vessels from the washed ones. But do remember that even though this sink is designed to be stain resistant, you would still need to take adequate care and maintenance. Check out some of the pros and cons of this sink,
- It is a classic white apron sink with self-trimming edges and comes with top mount installation
- It is designed to be stain resistant and equally resistant to chips and cracks; but if you subject it to rough wear and tear, it can still develop cracks.
- It comes with a sloped bottom which allows for easy and efficient drainage
- It is easy to clean
- It is quite heavy and weighs in excess of hundred pounds (not kidding)
On the whole, this sink would be a welcome addition for any kitchen that’s decked out in any style. It is certainly fashionable and designed to avoid burns, chips and cracks. This is definitely worth the price tag.
This is a self-trimming apron sink that should make for a nice classic addition to your kitchen. One of the reasons that you may want to opt for a cast iron sink is that it is easy to clean and this one certainly fits the bill. It comes with the following dimensions 29 inches by 21 inches and is deep enough with a depth of 9 inches. It is spacious enough and comes with a tall apron or you can even go in for a shorter one. It allows for a divider with which you can stack up your vessels side by side, it certainly has the space for the same. And like every other cast iron sinks out there, you would still need to ensure that you do not drop heavy implements on your sink. Yes, this particular model is customized to be extra resistant to stains, chips, cracks and burns. That being said, if you do subject it to rough usage, you may well develop a few chips and cracks. Check out the following pros and cons for this sink,
- It is designed to fit a 36-inch cabinet space and comes with top mount installation
- It is easy to clean
- It is resistant to stains, burns and cracks
- It comes with a classic design and in various colours and tones
- It is a tad pricey
Overall, this sink, despite its weight would make a welcome addition to any kitchen. It certainly stands out and one of the things that make this sink a worthwhile buy is the sloped bottom which makes for efficient drainage.
This is a self-trimming under mount kitchen sink and given that it is a cast iron sink, and weighs a bit, it would be a good idea to get the same installed professionally. What makes this sink stand out is that the self-trimming edges overlap the cabinet face and should make for an easy installation. This is a single bowl sink which should be perfect for washing all the big pots and pans but what makes this sink stand out is its design and the fact that it comes with a smart divider as well. It comes with the following dimensions – 35-1/2-Inch X 21-9/16-Inch X 9-5/8-Inch and is available in both black and tan. Check out some of the pros and cons of this sink,
- This sink is a little less expensive than some of the other variants in the market
- It is easy to clean
- It is resistant to chips and burns
- It comes with a smart divider
- You can get it customized in other colours as well even though at the moment, it is available only in black and tan.
- It is heavy
Overall, this sink is a good buy in the sense that it provides you with the same functionality of a cast iron sink and yet comes with a lower price tag. It is easy to clean but requires regular maintenance.
Best Cast Iron Sink 2019 Buying Guide
As mentioned earlier, a good cast iron sink should last you for a long while and yes, it is durable. But do keep in mind that its enamel coating can chip due to rough treatment. That being said, it continues to hog the headlights for all the right reasons. Here are a few things that you may want to keep in mind with regard to cast iron sinks.
Cast iron sinks primarily consist of a heavy metal alloy as the base with an enamel coating on the top. It is this enamel coating that gives the sink its neat glossy finish and also one that makes it possible to get the sink in various colours and shades. That being said, it can be quite heavy – more so than most of the other sink types in the market. So you may want to keep that in mind when you opt to purchase a cast iron sink for your kitchen.
When it comes to cast iron sinks you can either go for a top mount or an under mount style. It is basically your own preference but you should know that a top mount does not require much effort on your part. Since the sink is quite heavy, it can be a challenge to do an under mount. Under mount sinks are not impossible but just that they may require additional fixtures at the bottom to brace up the sink. It is a good idea to call in the professionals to install your under mount sink so that it continues to function seamlessly and effectively.
This is something that you may want to carefully weigh when choosing to purchase the sink. Typically, cast iron sink prices often range from $400 to $600 and some of the latest models may even be pricier than that.
Maintenance tips for cast iron sinks:
Maintaining cast iron sinks must be easy, right? Well, the enamel surface of a cast iron sink makes it easy, compared to other types of sinks but that being said, you would still be required to take care of your sink and here are a few maintenance tips to help you do just that.
- To clean your cast iron sink, all that is required is some warm water and a gentle scrub and that should take care of most of the stains and particulates. But you can also use a gentle non-abrasive cleaner to get rid of persistent stains or particulates.
- Do not store your tea or coffee grounds in your enamel covered sink as it can easily stain the same. Getting rid of this stain may not be possible with a simple warm wash but you may require some deep cleaning agents with some heavy scrubbing on your part. Tip: Avoid storing your tea or coffee grounds for long, in your cast iron sink.
- Try not to drop heavy implements in your sink. Granted that the enamel coating has been applied under much pressure and is meant to be durable. That being said, if you do end up dropping heavy vessels in your sink, then it can chip and crack the enamel layer which can spoil the whole “look”. And if that happens, it is extremely important that you get these cracks and chips attended to right away so as to prevent the metal base from developing rust and damage.
These are some of the top ranking cast iron sinks, each stands apart on account of its features and functionalities. Do check out the lot and choose one that fits in with your idea of what you need for your kitchen as well as your current budget for the same.